Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » Web Development Tools
Web Development Tools [message #234563] Wed, 02 May 2007 09:31 Go to next message
chris32680
Hi,
I'm new to the board. I work for a distribution company in which we design our own inventory management software (and also sell and support to 2 other distribution companies). We are currently running oracle version 9.2.0.4.0

Our original software was designed around the oracle forms product and with it being de-supported we've been migrating our applications to web browser based apps.

So for several years we've been developing basic pl/sql procedures that generate basic HTML reports and forms.

We know that these 'generic' HTML based display pages are quickly becoming outdated and are trying to research what tools we may be able to use in the future.

We want to be able to find a tool that will assist in the page layout/navigation and allow us to focus on the logic and underlying database stuff.

We considered application express, but we feel that that would be a very minor step forward along the technology curve, and we want something that we feel will be useful for several years. We also want a tool that we could possibly use with our existing applications.

I've been directed towards jdeveloper, but from what i can tell (and correct me if I'm wrong) we will not be able to modify any of our existing applications with jdeveloper and we could more or less only use it for new or rewritten apps.

Does anyone have any ideas of the types of tools that we should be looking at?

Thanks
Chris
Re: Web Development Tools [message #234664 is a reply to message #234563] Wed, 02 May 2007 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Just wondering: what's wrong with Oracle Developer Suite 10g? It works well with 9i-based forms/reports.

Although certain Oracle products get desupported (sooner or later all of them will), it isn't a reason to abandon working software. There are so many old and desupported 8.1.7 databases that are alive and kicking. There are people/companies who don't really need all that new stuff new versions offer.
Re: Web Development Tools [message #235004 is a reply to message #234563] Thu, 03 May 2007 13:14 Go to previous message
chris32680
well, our original applications were in forms 4.5...so i have nothing against 10g.

forms 4.5 were being desupported and we made the decision to move to html based applications (years ago...by the way). Unfortunately, we have no development tool to help us create our web forms/reports as efficiently.
Previous Topic: Calculation Field (merged)
Next Topic: New to Jdeveloper
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:03:57 CDT 2024