Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Oracle 9i Data guard
Oracle 9i Data guard [message #180952] Wed, 05 July 2006 23:45 Go to next message
*Jess*

Hi all,

Understand that there are 2 types of configuration, physical and logical standby database.

We are now considering on using data guard or another method - cloning. We will set up another server and will clone the primary database to the new server. By making up a script to copy archive logs over to the new server from time to time. Obviously the 2nd method is easier.

Appreciate any advice on both methods. Any disadvantages or tremendous maintenance work on data guard?

Thanks a lot!
Re: Oracle 9i Data guard [message #184533 is a reply to message #180952] Wed, 26 July 2006 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anurag078

I have worked both in Cloning as well as Data Guard.

What I have found is that Dataguard is more efficient, faster and easier method than cloning.

As soon as an archive log file is generated in the primary database, it gets shipped and applied in the standby database.

cloning is just creating another database which has the same physical structure that the primary database has.

Once the clone is created, there is no connection between the first database and the clone database.

You can not ship the archive logs from the first database and apply in the clone database.

Re: Oracle 9i Data guard [message #193640 is a reply to message #184533] Mon, 18 September 2006 11:55 Go to previous message
kudur_kv
completely agree with anurag.

The Dataguard gives you greater flexibility in terms of Disaster recovery and business continuity. If you are looking at cloning as your DR option, forget it. Simply because it is not a DR/High Availability option.
Previous Topic: how to checked out standby database is working upto point
Next Topic: primary standby different patches
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:23:50 CDT 2024