Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Standby database question
icon7.gif  Standby database question [message #150793] Fri, 09 December 2005 14:43 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

My question is very simple... I had created standby database which was runing fine and after some time i stoped the primary database and then i started standby database & changed that standby database to primary now i want to convert. my original first primary database into standby database .... I just want to know is it possible or not in my case or i have to create standby database from scratch using my current primary database.

I hope experts are able to understand my question....

Thanks & regards
Sunilkumar
Re: Standby database question [message #150986 is a reply to message #150793] Mon, 12 December 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Have you done a switch-over or fail-over (the difference is described in the manual)?

I bet you've done a fail-over. After a fail-over you will have to start from scratch and recreate your primary DB as a standby database.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Standby database question [message #151795 is a reply to message #150986] Mon, 19 December 2005 04:50 Go to previous message
sunil_v_mishra
thanks frank i got my answer .. actually i did failover ....

Fail over is doen when there is physical disaster to the primary database .. which is unrecoverable. As i was working on test server so for testing purpose i did fail over.

when some one want to change some hardware, or to upgarde some thing at primary database server, than switch over is doen to standby server. And once all maintanence work is over at primary database server again switch over is doen to primary database server.

Thats it...

Thanks & Regards
Sunilkumar

Previous Topic: What happens to the standby redo log
Next Topic: automatic transfering of arch logs.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:25:26 CDT 2024