Home » Server Options » Data Guard » standby database consistency (expert)
icon5.gif  standby database consistency (expert) [message #141883] Wed, 12 October 2005 11:50
jneugeba
Subject: 8.1.7 standby database activation problems

issue: every time I attempt to activate our standby database I am forced to apply several more logs to resolve the log gap before activating it. If you try to activate it before applying the logs you get an error stating that file 1 needs more recovery.

The production server has 700 MB logs and log switches occur every 2-3 minutes during periods of high activity.. checkpoints take 8-12 minutes to complete. The logs take 15-20 min to transfer between the production and standby site.

The problem is that if our production site is destroyed and I cannot retrieve the logs necessary to resolve the log gap then how can I activate the standby?

Please provide information on how to minimize or resolve this issue so that no additional logs are required when I activate the standby. I must be able to activate standby at any time with existing logs on standby.

I believe the issue is due to the length of time it takes to checkpoint and the amount of logs generated in that period of time... increasing the checkpoint frequency is not an option because a checkpoint occurs at each log switch anyway and log switches happen every few minutes when we are busy... multiple log switches occur between checkpoint completion.

Thanks!
Jim
Previous Topic: Data Guard License
Next Topic: DR site updations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:02:49 CDT 2024