Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Refresh standby controlfile?
Refresh standby controlfile? [message #58553] Tue, 16 September 2003 16:23 Go to next message
Erin N
To refresh the controlfile on a standby oracle8i db the procedures I read say to: 'Transfer the standby control file and archived log files to the standby site...' (while it is shutdown)
Does this mean to overlay the existing control files at the o/s level and then start up the db and restart recovery? If anybody has the exact procedures I'd love the step by step. I want to rename some datafiles on primary. Thanks in advance! Erin
Re: Refresh standby controlfile? [message #58558 is a reply to message #58553] Tue, 16 September 2003 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Erin
You dont have to refresh the standby controlfile mandatorily, for the rename to take effect. You could simply rename the datafile at the standby site . Just cancel the recovery and while the standby database is mounted in standby mode, do a 'alter database rename file 'old_file' to 'new_file';
that should take care of it.
Re: Refresh standby controlfile? [message #58560 is a reply to message #58558] Tue, 16 September 2003 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erin
Do I still have to move them at the o/s level(linux) also on the standby before doing the rename command?
Re: Refresh standby controlfile? [message #58561 is a reply to message #58560] Tue, 16 September 2003 19:59 Go to previous message
Thiru
In the mount mode(with recovery cancelled), copy (or move) the datafile to the new location and then rename the datafile . Resume recovery and make sure there are no errors in the alert.log file.

Hope this helps
Thiru
Previous Topic: standby cold backup
Next Topic: Backup Strategy with standby database (Oracle 9i)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:27:25 CDT 2024