Home » Other » Training & Certification » Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback?
Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557196] Sun, 10 June 2012 21:25 Go to next message
monloi

Hi experts,

I'm planning to take up this course "Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop" via Oracle University. Any feedback on this course on what to expect and what you can quickly learn or try out in the real world?

I'm taking the course because...
Currently we have minimal problems in our system and sometimes we think the cause is on the network layer meaning accumulated connections from our firewall and load balancer causes oracle database slow. I have mysql query optimization experiences and I think that our Oracle might not be properly tuned and one way to find out is to know the tools/techniques Oracle has so we can isolate some issues and pin point the root cause.

Thanks,
Mon
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557197 is a reply to message #557196] Sun, 10 June 2012 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>we think the cause is on the network layer meaning accumulated connections from our firewall and load balancer causes oracle database slow.

I'll give you 10 - 1 odds that the the network is NOT the cause of the slow response time.
enable SQL_TRACE for slow SQL to actually see where elapsed time is being spent
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557212 is a reply to message #557196] Mon, 11 June 2012 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've taught that course a couple of times. Make sure you do it as an in-class event, not an LVC: this is a class where you need the interaction with the teacher and other students. Be aware that a lot of the material is based on Enterprise Edition plus the Diagnostic and Tuning Pack options. If you do not have these, ask your teacher to go through techniques applicable to Standard Edition too.

Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557213 is a reply to message #557196] Mon, 11 June 2012 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monloi

Thanks for the quick answer. With regards to this course "Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop", is purchasing the self-study CD-ROM worth it or what clear advantage does it give?
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557215 is a reply to message #557212] Mon, 11 June 2012 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monloi

Thanks for letting me know ahead. We are actually using a 10g EE but will soon be upgrading to 11g EE. I think learning SQL tuning from 11g and applying it on 10g shouldn't be much different.
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557280 is a reply to message #557196] Mon, 11 June 2012 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

If you are encountering performance problems, I wouldn't recommend that your first action be attending a SQL Tuning course. The first step should be to run some AWR reports on your database and investigate the results to see if you can isolate the problem.

If it turns out that the problem does involve long-running SQL statements and having AWR point out the worst SQL statements isn't enough for you to solve the problem, then the course might be the way to go. In fact at that point you could take the statements in to class with you and try to get help specific to your problem.

If your performance problem doesn't involve SQL at all, then attending the course may not help you in the least. You might find that the course you should have taken was the broader: Oracle Database 11g: Performance Tuning for example.
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557319 is a reply to message #557280] Mon, 11 June 2012 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
In fact at that point you could take the statements in to class with you and try to get help specific to your problem.
And at this point, the teacher will ask 'Are you familiar with the term "consulting"?'
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557323 is a reply to message #557319] Mon, 11 June 2012 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

>the teacher will ask...

I assume that's tongue-in-cheek, but I'll clarify anyway. The instructor certainly won't divert the lesson plan for the day to work on his problem or spend hours of his own time looking for a a solution. However, most of the courses I took at OE while I worked for Oracle, the instructors liked having a real world example to deal with. The instructor might or might not discuss it as part of the lecture, but would almost certainly be willing to at least look at an AWR and note points that he should investigate further and or suggest some possible courses of action.

As I indicated at the beginning, I don't really see 'taking a tuning course' to be the initial response to 'I have a performance problem.' The first course of action is to use the tools provided with Oracle to try to resolve the problem yourself. If that works, it will be faster, cheaper, and impart a fair amount of knowledge about tuning in the process.

If he can't resolve the problem and still decides to take a course, then it is more than likely that at some point during the class he'll mention to the instructor *why* he's taking it. Most instructors would ask if he's run an AWR report. If he hasn't, or did, but does not have a copy present, then there's not much additional advice that can be offered except for vague generalities. If he has the report in hand, he might get some specific suggestions.
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557472 is a reply to message #557212] Wed, 13 June 2012 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monloi

John Watson wrote on Mon, 11 June 2012 14:05
I've taught that course a couple of times. Make sure you do it as an in-class event, not an LVC: this is a class where you need the interaction with the teacher and other students. Be aware that a lot of the material is based on Enterprise Edition plus the Diagnostic and Tuning Pack options. If you do not have these, ask your teacher to go through techniques applicable to Standard Edition too.

John, are the methods/tools (at least 60%) used in this course applicable to 10g too ? It should also be fine to ask/request the instructor (after class/quick chat) the equivalent of some of the methods/tools discussed in 10g right?
Re: Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop - feedback? [message #557485 is a reply to message #557472] Wed, 13 June 2012 05:12 Go to previous message
John Watson
Quote:
are the methods/tools (at least 60%) used in this course applicable to 10g too ?
Yes
Quote:
It should also be fine to ask/request the instructor (after class/quick chat)
He isn't paid to work for you outside the classroom hours.
Previous Topic: Training on Oracle HRMS and DBA
Next Topic: Topics in Orcale certified associate
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:05:25 CDT 2024