Home » Server Options » Data Guard » FAL_SERVER and FAL_CLIENT (merged) (ORACLE 10g R2 (10.2.0.1.0))
FAL_SERVER and FAL_CLIENT (merged) [message #485664] Thu, 09 December 2010 06:07 Go to next message
dkdms2124

Hi All,

I successfully created the standby database and the archive logs were properly moving on both the primary and the standby databases. For the proper transfer of the archive logs on the STANDBY database I used "FAL_CLIENT AND FAL_SERVER" in the pfile of the primary database specifying the location of the primary and the Standby respectively.

When I removed both the parameters from the pfile of the primary database still there was the transfer of the archive logs however there should not be "If I am not wrong" as I have removed both the parameters.

Can anyone help me out why there is still the transfer of the archive logs on the standby database.

Thanks & Regards
Deepak
Re: FAL_SERVER and FAL_CLIENT [message #485670 is a reply to message #485664] Thu, 09 December 2010 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
These parameters are to do with gap detection. They are relevant only if an archivelog is missing, typically because redo was received into standby log, then archived, then damaged before being applied. You specify a list of possible sources from where the standby can request a copy. Look up the parameters and also search for "gap detection" and gap resolution" and you should find an explanation.
Re: FAL_SERVER and FAL_CLIENT [message #485793 is a reply to message #485670] Thu, 09 December 2010 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your reply, but I still have one question which is.. If I do not include these two parameter (FAL_CLIENT AND FAL_SERVER)in the parameter of the primary database in the very beginning when I have to add other parameters like:
log_archive_dest_1
log_archive_dest_state_1
log_arhicve_dest_state_2
log_archive_dest_2

there will be still transfer of the archives or not?

Regards
Deepak
Not able to generate gap in the archive on the standby database [message #485794 is a reply to message #485664] Thu, 09 December 2010 23:34 Go to previous message
dkdms2124

Hi All,

I am not able to generate gap in the archives of the standby database. I'll explain what approach I have followed.

I create two database one for the primary and one the standby database.I included all the necessary parameters which need to included in the pfile of the Primary and the standby database.

Once everything was done and the archive were transfering successfully on the standby database. I manually did switching of the logfiles on the primary database and did immediate shutdown of the Primary database but still the archive were transfered successfully on the standby.

Note: I DIDNOT INCLUDE FAL_SERVER AND FAL_CLIENT IN THE LIST OF PARAMETERS OF THE PRIMARY DATABASE.

THANKS
DEEPAK
Previous Topic: DG broker switchover problem
Next Topic: Cannot Open Physical Standby Read Only
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:03:34 CDT 2024