Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » SQL newbie question: nested query
SQL newbie question: nested query [message #371806] Fri, 08 December 2000 07:48 Go to next message
Gunter Lange
Hello

I want to submit following query : asking for all tables containing the column 'ABC'

> select table_name from user_tab_columns where column_name='ABC'

OK that works !

Now I want to use each table_name and ask for a special contents of the column 'ABC' (such as table_name.column_name='123').

The result of that query should be all table_names that contain the special column ('ABC') with the specified contents ('123').

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks in advance
Re: SQL newbie question: nested query [message #371807 is a reply to message #371806] Fri, 08 December 2000 11:31 Go to previous message
Prem
Gunter,

You may have to do it in two steps. First, spool the output of the following query to a file. This will create select statements for all the tables containing the column you are looking for and the value you are searching. Just copy the entire set and then paste it in the sql plus window. The statements are executed one by one and the values are displayed.
when you run this query, you will be prompted for "Column_Value" and "Column_Name". From your example, you'll enter 123 for column value and ABC for column name.

select 'SELECT '||column_name||' FROM '||table_name||' WHERE '||COLUMN_NAME||' = '||'&COLUMN_VALUE;'
from user_tab_columns
where column_name = '&Column_name'

Alternativy, you can use dbms_sql to dynamically create the select statements from the user_tab_columns, issue them and store the values/spool them to some text file....
But the first method seems simple.

hth

Prem :)
Previous Topic: Oracle keeps giving back cached results...not new.....help!!!
Next Topic: How do I call Unix Shell Commands?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 21:33:07 CDT 2024