Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Describe
Describe [message #371418] Tue, 17 October 2000 05:06 Go to next message
shad
I need to do a decribe of each table in a database. There are a lot of tables in a database so do not want to go to each table separetely. I want the name of the table to appear as well as the result of the describe.
e.g

sql> describe employee;

Name Null? Type

emp# Not Null Number(15)
Fname Not Null Varchar2(30)

etc

Because it is a lot of table I need to be able to see to which table the describe result belong.

Can anyone help?
Re: Describe [message #371419 is a reply to message #371418] Tue, 17 October 2000 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sandeep Deshmukh
You need to use trick to work out this.The familiar one is to spool the output of query to some file & then execute the file.Check whether following stuff work :
spool describe.sql
set heading off;
set feedback off;
select 'describe ' || tname || ';' from tab
where tabtype = 'TABLE';
spool off;

After this you can run command on sqlplus prompt as @describe.sql

Happy viewing..
Re: Describe [message #371420 is a reply to message #371418] Tue, 17 October 2000 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shad
This works but still does not include the table name. Whe running the describe file the has been spooled I still just get the results but I can not see to which tables the results belong because it is a lot of tables; thanks
Re: Describe [message #371423 is a reply to message #371418] Tue, 17 October 2000 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prem
Shad,

Why not issue a select on the user_tab_columns datadictionary table. You can format the output the way you want

SELECT TABLE_NAME, COLUMN_NAME, DATA_TYPE.... FROM USER_TAB_COLUMNS

and if u r executing this from sql*plus, you can also issue a BREAK ON TABLE_NAME just before executing the select so that the output will print the table name only once followed by the column names and data types

hth

Prem :)
Re: Describe [message #371429 is a reply to message #371418] Tue, 17 October 2000 23:46 Go to previous message
Sandeep Deshmukh
Shad,

As you must be aware that prompt 'xxx' will display xxx on screen.You can modify the query to like :
select 'prompt Structure of ' || tname ||': ;'||'describe ' || tname || ';' from tab;
This will create a necessary script for you.But only trick you need to do in editor is to divide it into two staments.
Hint :The serch & replace can be handy.
Otherwise the solution given by Prem will be helpful.
Previous Topic: UTL_FILE and Linux problem
Next Topic: Tab setting in forms 6.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:09:02 CDT 2024