Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » UTL_FILE file permission prob.
UTL_FILE file permission prob. [message #370610] Thu, 06 January 2000 13:08 Go to next message
Zoe Marcous
Hi everyone,

I have two unix servers & databases that use UTL_FILE.
On ServerA I can read files created with UTL_FILE, but on ServerB I cannot. All the settings appear to be the same:

ServerA
Oracle 7.3.4.1
init.ora utl_file_dir = *
umask = 022
file permissions: rw-r--r--

ServerB
Oracle 7.3.4.0
init.ora utl_file_dir = *
umask = 022
file permissions: rw-r-----

I also login as the same user on both servers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Zoë
Re: UTL_FILE file permission prob. [message #370616 is a reply to message #370610] Fri, 07 January 2000 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Hoffman
File I/O operations perform with UTL_FILE are done by the Oracle user. The Oracle user is the owner of the files that make up the database and the owner of the processes that make up the database instance. Ex: A UNIX userid, ORACLE7, is used to create and run an Oracle instance, all files written by UTL_FILE are owned by user ORACLE7. If UNIX userid JSMITH wants to read the files JSMITH must be given permissions in UNIX to read files created by ORACLE7.

If you look at the permissions set on server A and server B you will see that the owner and UNIX group members only can read files written by UTL_FILE on server B, anybody can read files created by UTL_FILE on server A. So your problem lies within the UNIX permissions.
Re: UTL_FILE file permission prob. [message #370635 is a reply to message #370616] Wed, 12 January 2000 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zoe Marcous
Yes, it was a problem with the permissions on the Unix server, thanks.
Re: UTL_FILE file permission prob. [message #371493 is a reply to message #370610] Sun, 29 October 2000 22:52 Go to previous message
Tom
use the host command to change the permissions.

i.e.

host( 'chmod 770 ' || filename ) ;
This should od the trick.
Previous Topic: Oracle JDeveloper with Informix
Next Topic: Trigger-Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:14:07 CDT 2024