Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package
Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package [message #369951] Thu, 16 November 2000 09:34 Go to next message
Shanthi Ramayanapu
Hi,

Did anyone use UTL_FILE PL/SQL reference packages provided by Oracle. I am trying to use it for the first time and the online manual has only the syntax , but does not have any examples demonstrating how to use it.

I am trying to store the out of my PL/SQL Procedure into files based on the conditions.

Shanthi
Re: Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package [message #369952 is a reply to message #369951] Fri, 17 November 2000 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babu Paul
Hi Shanti,

I have illustrated the usage of UTL_FILE with an example. This should help you. But before that bear it in mind the path where your files will be searched or created will be mentioned in your init.ora file. Please check the path. You can change the path to your own path by editing the init.ora file.

assuming that you want to write something to a file using a PL/SQL block:

DECLARE

outfile_handle UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE;
v_test VARCHAR2(1000) ;

BEGIN

-- TO begin with we have to open the file in
-- whatever mode you want by mentioning its path
-- and file name....
-- Here it is A meaning Append mode

outfile_handle := UTL_FILE.FOPEN('FILE PATH',
'file_name','A');

v_test := 'This is a Test ' ;

-- To write a line into the file

UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE(outfile_handle, v_test) ;

-- To close the file

UTL_FILE.FCLOSE (outfile_handle) ;

EXCEPTION

WHEN UTL_FILE.INVALID_OPERATION
THEN
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('** File Exception **');

END ;
/

This is a simple example to start with. Hope this helps you.

Good Luck!
Babu
Re: Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package [message #369954 is a reply to message #369952] Fri, 17 November 2000 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanthi Ramayanapu
I get Invalid_Operation exception. It fails at Fopen. UTL_FILE path and permission are all set. I tested it too. Still when I try to do FOPEN it raises the exception.

Shanthi
Re: Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package [message #369955 is a reply to message #369954] Fri, 17 November 2000 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetoMan
Its important to set the Path with the correct sintaxis : (/ instead of \)

In unix :

'/MyDirectory/MyFile'
Re: Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package [message #369956 is a reply to message #369954] Fri, 17 November 2000 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babu Paul
Hi,
I agree with NetoMan, check the path in your init.ora file and use the same when you write the path name in your pl/sql script. If you are using Unix check "\" is "/" in unix to separate directories... Bear that in mind and try again. Also your file should have write access privilege if you are trying to open the file in write or append mode, change the file attributes so that it can be written by any other user as well.
Apart from these two I can't see why it is not working.

Good Luck!
Babu
Re: Urgent: UTL_FILE PL/SQL Reference Package [message #369957 is a reply to message #369956] Fri, 17 November 2000 12:05 Go to previous message
Shanthi Ramayanapu
Hey all,

Thanks for all your responses. I found the solution and here it is
1. My UTL_FILE_DIR path is specified correctly in init.ora
2. I do have all sorts of permissions on this specified path.
3. I also have permissions to execute UTL_FILE package
only this missing and which is not mentioned in any oracle documentation is
(had to go to metalink and search in problem solution to find the answer)

In order to use UTL_FILE reference package functions,
"ORACLE" should have access to write to the directory specified in init.ora UTL_FILE_DIR, not the oracle_user who is executing the command.
These files are created/modified/read by "ORACLE" not as the oracle_user who is executing the procedure.

Very bad design. Now I fixed the problem by giving "ORACLE" all permission on UTL_FILE_DIR, but since these files are created by "ORACLE" I can only read them. To either execute or modify I need to again request DBA to change the file permissions on these files.

I hope oracle will fix this design soon.

Shanthi
Previous Topic: Re: Truncate Table problem
Next Topic: Top x records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 20:31:25 CDT 2024