Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Optimal Rollback Segments
Optimal Rollback Segments [message #369467] Thu, 28 September 2000 07:26 Go to next message
Kevin McInerney
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a project which will be going live soon and now I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the size and number of rollback segments.

Space and memory are not an issue (we have lots) and we expect to have about 10Gb of disk-space used up within 3 years. Most transactions will be online with a few small batch jobs running every now-and-again.

From these figures is there a 'safe' or 'optimal' configuration for the rollback segments to stop me worrying that the system is going to fall over???.

many thanks,

Kevin.
Re: Optimal Rollback Segments [message #369468 is a reply to message #369467] Thu, 28 September 2000 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miki
There are lot of information about subj. at
http://technet.oracle.com/files/search/search.htm?"rollback%20segments"

E.g.
Managing Rollback Segments
Mark Ramacher and Harmeet Bharara
Oracle Corporation
Re: Optimal Rollback Segments [message #369481 is a reply to message #369467] Fri, 29 September 2000 09:32 Go to previous message
S. Vijaya Kumar
Hi Kevin,

U determine the total no. of rollback segments depending upon the no. of transactions. Normally, one rollback segment can perform efficiently 4 transactions. so, no.of rollback_segments=no.of transactions/no. of users.

Also, don't forget to create multiple rollback segemnts of different sizes. If u know that u are going to perform a very huge transaction then, before starting u can assign a transaction to a rollback segment by
set transaction use rollback segment name.

I hope this will help u.

Keep in touch,
Vijay
Previous Topic: lookin for some test papers for OCP exams
Next Topic: Instance parameters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:33:47 CDT 2024