Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » CPU Bound machine
CPU Bound machine [message #369209] Thu, 18 May 2000 08:48 Go to next message
pwl
One of my systems is a 4 way machine with 2 Gigs of memory. But it is cpu bound. There are often 150+ users logged in, plus other internal processes connecting to other databases.

My thoughts are that multi-threaded server should help the situation, since user are waiting now for cpu, so if they have to wait in the mts it will not be worse, and mts would allow oracle and the process that are running to get work done without being interferred with by the O/S.

Any thoughts or feedback on this would be most welcome
thanks
Re: CPU Bound machine [message #369214 is a reply to message #369209] Fri, 26 May 2000 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas
Hi Peter,
you did not mention which version of oracle u use.
Oracle has improved the power of mts in V8.
For users doing OLTP-Stuff I would recommend to use it since you need much less Processes on the UNIX Box which consumes ressources although the process is almostly waiting for the user.
For Batch Process I recommend to use a connect string that forces a dedicated session.
You can easily use both kinds of connection and try it.

regards, Thomas
Re: CPU Bound machine [message #369215 is a reply to message #369214] Tue, 13 June 2000 12:07 Go to previous message
pwl
Thomas,
Thanks for the comments.
We use oracle 7.3 and the system behaves very
much like OLTP. It has a system which manages Workflow, and consistently logs in, does a couple of database updates, and then promptly logs out.
I will try it out as soon as I can.
Thanks again for your comments
Previous Topic: Re: Oem jobs can not be executed due to authentication problem
Next Topic: Oracle DBA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:59:12 CDT 2024