Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Startup Oracle 8i on Solaris 8
Startup Oracle 8i on Solaris 8 [message #369151] Thu, 30 March 2000 01:32 Go to next message
umesh
I have installed Oracle 8i on solaris, in
/export/home/OraHome1 directory. I have also created a user called oracle. What do I have to do next to start the oracle instance ??? as there are no icons, like in the windows and NT environments. I am also new to the UNIX environment so a simplified version of the answer is appreciated.

tips, references, what to do's, links greatly appreciated
Thnkx
Umesh
Re: Startup Oracle 8i on Solaris 8 [message #369155 is a reply to message #369151] Thu, 30 March 2000 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Ruel
If you installed the Oracle Software with your Oracle user, I presume your Unix environment variables are set up correctly. For now, I will also assume everything was installed correctly. Did you create a database with the install? If you did, you need to make sure your ORACLE_SID is set to your database name and exported. As a UNIX envrironment variable. Then you can connect to server manager. From your unix prompt, just type:

$ svrmgrl

This will start up the server manager shell. Now type:

SVRMGR> connect internal;

It should say something like:

Connected to an idle instance.

From here just type:

SVRMGR> startup

This should start and open your database as long as no problems are encountered.

Chris..
Re: Startup Oracle 8i on Solaris 8 [message #369158 is a reply to message #369151] Thu, 30 March 2000 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umesh
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the help,
I got as far as 'connect internal'.
When I type 'startup' I get the following error msg,
"ORA-27102:out of memory"
"Intel SVR4 Unix Error:22:Invalid Argument"
I have got 128 mbyte memory and my swap file size is
384 mbyte on a Pentium III. Solaris is the only other app running
Please help, again

Thanks
Umesh
Re: Startup Oracle 8i on Solaris 8 [message #369159 is a reply to message #369151] Thu, 30 March 2000 15:57 Go to previous message
Chris Ruel
Umesh,
I am most familiar with running Oracle on UNIX Solaris but I will mention one thing that could be a problem. You may not have enough memory on that box to run Oracle. 128M is the bare minimum from what I understand. Do you know how big your SGA is sized? If you have that eating up more than 128M there could be a problem right there. I would suggest running it with no less than 256M of memory and checking your SGA. One more thing, does Solaris use semaphores on the Pentium boxes? There is a file that should be located in /etc called "system". At the very bottom of that file you have your settings for shared memorary, segments, segment sizes etc. Make sure at least your value for the following parameter is set to:

shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=134217728

That is the setting for 128M of memory. Let me know if any of these things help.
Chris..
Previous Topic: How can I insert a MS word doc into a LOB and read it from VB?
Next Topic: I cant connect from asp to orcacle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:50:16 CDT 2024